The Clousden Hill Free Communist and Co-operative Colony was for a time an internationally famous anarchist-communist inspired 'land colony' enjoying strong links with local co-operative societies.
Cooperation and socialism
The only elementary school that appears to have been opened by an English co-operative society in response to the 1870 Education Act could be found at Wallsend from May 1872 until August 1875.
The Socialist Society met in the rooms upstairs from the Cradlewell Books bookshop at 235 Jesmond Road.
For fifty years the Newcastle Socialist Society in the Old Royal Arcade (which was demolished in 1969) provided a forum for socialists of all hues to debate issues. Attendees included such as T.
A demonstration and meeting of working men (estimated to be 20,000) in favour of the nine hours movement was held on the Town Moor.
18 Clayton Street was the address of the William Morris Club in 1918. Further details are needed.
In June 1871, George Odger, a London trade unionist, suffrage campaigner and shoemaker, spoke at the inaugural meeting of the Newcastle Republican Society at the Lecture Room in Nelson Street.
The Co-operative Women’s Guild was established in 1883 (originally named the Women’s League for the Spread of Co-operation, it changed its name in 1885).
A major strike in the iron trade in Newcastle in 1871 formed the background to the establishment of the Ouseburn Co-operative Engine Works Co. in that year.
CWS had bought land on this site in 1890, then built and opened in 1899 a complex of warehouses, officers and meeting rooms which formed the nerve centre of the Newcastle Branch of the CWS’ operati