First headquarters of the Newcastle branch of the British Socialist Party

Event date(s)

1 January 1911 to 31 December 1917

Description/importance

The development of socialism and socialist parties in the North East matched the remainder of the country. In 1911 the British Socialist Party (BSP) set up their regional headquarters in Newcastle at 2, Leazes Park Road, sharing premises with the Clarion Cycling Club and the Clarion Dramatic Society (later the Peoples Theatre). The BSP changed their name in 1916 to the Communist Party of Great Britain.

Location/map point

Address

2. Leazes Park Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 4PF

Directions

Opposite Eldon Square Bus Station.